2013-2014 Student Handbook

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 74 of 79

73 sought and provide all relevant evidence. This letter and any supporting documentation must include the student's mailing address and phone number. 3. The department head will organize a meeting between the student and instructor in order to seek a resolution to the dispute. If no resolution is found and the student wishes to continue to continue the appeal process, the department head will form a departmental grievance committee and provide the committee with all relevant materials. After review of all materials, the committee will make a recommendation to the department head to raise, lower or leave the grade intact. The department head will inform both the instructor and student of the department head's decision within three weeks of receipt of the student's letter. 4. The department head's decision will be given to both the instructor and the student. Either the instructor or student may appeal the department head's decision within one week of receiving it. 5. If the instructor or student wishes to further appeal the head's decision, a written appeal should be made to the Dean within 10 working days of receiving the department head's decision. The dean will review the case and inform the parties of the Dean's recommendations within three weeks of receiving the appeal. 6.Individual course instructors have the responsibility for making the grade change determined by the appeals process. 7. In the School of Nursing, the appeal will end at the Dean of the school. Student Educational Records Policy and Procedures The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. 1. A student has the right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a request for access. 2. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department or other appropriate official a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed. 3. The student has the right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy rights under FERPA. 4. A student who wishes to ask the university to amend a record should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

Articles in this issue

view archives of AUM - 2013-2014 Student Handbook